Aliko Dangote is the richest man in Africa with estimated net worth of over US$14.1 billion. Lets get to know the richest man in Africa who is from Nigeria whose wealth could wipe out extreme poverty in Africa.
1. Dangote is a business magnate, investor, and owner of the Dangote Group, which has interests in commodities in Nigeria and other African countries.
2. Aliko Dangote, an ethnic Hausa Muslim from Kano, Kano State, was born on the 10th of April 1957 into a wealthy Muslim family.
3. He is the great-grandson of Alhaji Alhassan Dantata, the richest African at the time of his death in 1955.
4. Dangote was educated at the Sheikh Ali Kumasi Madrasa, followed by Capital High School, Kano. He has a bachelor’s degree in business studies and administration from Al-Azhar University, Cairo.
5. The Dangote Group was established as a small trading firm in 1977, the same year Dangote relocated to Lagos to expand the company.
5. He has been married four times, and his first three marriages ended in divorce. He has a total of 3 children from these marriages.
6. Dangote was named as the Forbes Africa Person of the Year 2014.
7. When he was in primary school, he would go and buy cartons of sweets [candy] and he would start selling them just to make money. He was so interested in business, even at that time.
8. Dangote Group has expanded to cover food processing, cement manufacturing, and freight.
9. Dangote played a prominent role in the funding of Olusegun Obasanjo’s re-election bid in 2003, to which he gave over N200 million (US$1M). He contributed N50 million (US$0.25M) to the National Mosque under the aegis of “Friends of Obasanjo and Atiku”. He contributed N200 million to the Presidential Library.
10. Dangote has diversified into telecommunications and has started building 14,000 kilometres of fibre optic cables to supply the whole of Nigeria. As a result, Dangote was honoured in January 2009 as the leading provider of employment in the Nigerian construction industry.
Follow Vibelens on Twitter on Facebook and on YouTube